As you may know, one of the best authors of the 20th and 21st century passed away earlier this week. Terry Pratchett. In honour of this great man I decided to tackle his magnum opus from start to finish – The Discworld series. i’ve read a few of them and I always wanted to finish the whole series because that’s quite a feat (40+ works). So for the rest of this year, or however long it takes me to finish the whole series I will be reading and reviewing each book on this blog. I cannot definitely say when posts will come up on this blog but I will read as fast as I can, everything else in life taken into consideration.
Now, the interesting thing about Discworld, is that you can dive right in, there is no order to read the books in even though there are small series within the entire set. Of course, I’m a total obsessive compulsive when the word “series” is attached to something so I MUST have a specific order. After travelling the interwebs, I realised I had two options:
- Follow the chronological order in which the books were published, which sort of gives you an insight into how Terry Pratchett’s mind meandered through Discworld; or
- Follow the carefully thought out and well drawn guide by Mr. Krzysztof Kietzman. (if you’re interested, it can be found here: http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg)
I decided to go with the first option BUT keeping in mind Mr. Kietzman’s guide. At the end of it all, I’ll evaluate (for myself and anyone else interested) on several matters:
- What are the absolute “must reads” in the series?
- Whether following the books in chronological order is a good idea?
- Is the Kietzman guide the right way to go?
- Whether I have a theory on how it should be read?
- (insert any other questions I think of)
I’m very excited about this little project. I hope you will join me! 🙂
Next post: The Colour of Magic